The Spanish Heart Foundation (FEC) It reminds us of the importance of good eating habits and the heart-healthy diet for the sake of our hearts and our health.
A heart-healthy diet and adequate living habits (that include physical exercise, the abandonment of harmful habits and stress management) They help fight excess cholesterol. To pamper the heart should also contemplate enough sleep and return to a nutritional regimen based on the Mediterranean Diet.
A heart-healthy diet should always contemplate the incorporation of foods low in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium, Y High fiber and essential fatty acids: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fat dairy (including lowering cholesterol when it is in excess), nuts, lean meats and oily fish are the basis of a friendly power heart.
Allies in the fight against cholesterol
– He aceite de Olivaa, mainly it contains monounsaturated fatty acids, a type of heart-healthy fat that helps lower cholesterol.
– The C vitamin (present in citrus, strawberries, kiwi, cantaloupe, tomato, pepper, cabbage and cauliflower), It is an antioxidant, combat free radicals and has a protective role in cardiovascular disease.
– The nuts and dried fruit, They are rich in fibers, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, They help prevent many diseases and reduce cholesterol.
– He blue Fish (tuna, beautiful, boquerón, mackerel, mackerel, palometa, Salmon, sardina, etc.), It contains a type of fat cardiosaludable, omega 3, and help lower blood cholesterol levels.
– In addition to the diet it is important perform moderate physical activity (walk 30-40 minutes daily, for example), keep proper hydration and a good rest Y avoid alcohol and smoking.
Proper food choices can reduce up to 50% cholesterol intake and up 74% Saturated fat intake throughout the day.
Cholesterol, the enemy of the arteries
He Cholesterol is a fatty substance naturally present in all human cells and necessary for normal operation. Most cholesterol is produced in the liver, although also it obtained through food, mainly of animal origin. Despite being an indispensable compound for the organism, is not healthy when in excess because cholesterol is one of the main causes of risk in the development of heart disease. To fight cholesterol, It is recommended to keep a healthy lifestyle and influence those modifiable risk factors such as adequate food, the practice of regular physical exercise and abandonment of certain harmful habits such as snuff or alcohol.
In healthy people, the total cholesterol should not exceed 220ml / dl (LDL cholesterol, inferior a 130ml/dl) and those who have already suffered a cardiovascular disease, levels as low as possible is recommended.
Source: Spanish Heart Foundation