Bread is a food that should be part of our daily diet and is the essence of diet Mediterranean, but its consumption has declined because of numerous myths that associate it with weight gain. He pan fattening? Is there bread for coeliacs? How much bread have to eat a day?
Professor Abel Mariné nutrition and master baker Xavier Barriga, two experts recognized in this food, we clarify some of the most widespread doubts about their consumption.
– Bread is saciante of appetite, zero fat, It contains few calories and many nutrients. As for nutritional benefits, notable contribution slow absorption of carbohydrates (approximately 58%), which they are stored in our body as energy, not fat. sate
– How much should we eat bread? Bread consumption has decreased: "Today children's consumption of bread had never been so low and had never been so much obesity in this collective" points Abel Mariné. According to Professor, currently we eat about 90 gr. Daily Bread, the lowest amount of history. According to Xavier Barriga, intake 100 grams of bread each day covers only 32% of the daily requirement of plant proteins.
– Bread is input starch, which is found in wheat flour and sugar is slowly absorbed. Does not pass directly into the blood, but the body creates an energy reserve that, as it is asking, it decomposes into simple sugars (glucose) and it is using as a fuel will steadily. This prevents continuous energy contribution hunger.
– The vegetable proteins present in bread have a direct influence on the growth of children and adolescents. It contains essential amino acids and has a poor level of lysine. In a balanced diet you have to eat other foods rich in protein, such as meat or fish, so that the total protein value increase.
– Bread is rich in fiber, wheat constituted by indigestible carbohydrates. Wholemeal bread contains more fiber percentage, but also it provides fiber white bread, although to a lesser extent.
– The vast majority of vitamins They come from the grain of wheat, As lipids, located in the germ. salts provides minerals, iron, zinc, magnesium, potassium, niacin, and vitamins B1, B2 and B6.
Myths About Bread
The fattening bread: The bread is fat, other carbohydrates slow absorption. What we have to avoid is mixing with other carbohydrate bread, choose sandwiches with vegetables and accompanying monitoring.
Bread for coeliacs: You can not say that there is a gluten-free bread, since the formation of the gluten is one of the first steps to develop a good bread. But the industry sector has made an effort to respond to this and there are collective alternatives similar to bread, although the texture and taste are different.
Less fattening toast a slice of bread: A toast was disenrolled water, but still the same amount of calories. If we talk about 100 gr. bread, which provides a 244 calories, they remain, is the toast or not. The only difference is that the bread will weigh less, but the amount of calories and nutritional components will remain the same.